Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Movie Quote Madness

So I'm visiting the Livejournal of my writing group friend Sargon the Terrible and he has a challenge going where he lists a bunch of movie quotes and you have to name the movie. And one of the quotes he has is this:

“She is curvaceous. Not as pleasingly fat as I prefer them, but at night a cottonseed is the same as a bell.”


And the quote sounds really similar to a line from "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad," except I've always heard the line as "...at night, a stone is as good as a pearl," which has the advantage of making, you know, sense, since in the dark, a smooth stone and a pearl feel just the same. So I tell him he has the line wrong, and he adamantly insists it's cottonseed/bell, which, what the hell does that even mean?

But I don't have the movie on video, so I can't prove it. But I do have the novelization written from the screenplay, so I bust it out and look up the line, and in the book, the guy says, "...but at night..." and then leaves it hanging.

So apparently the actor, Gregoire Aslan, ad-libbed it and he has taken the secret to hte grave with him.

Oh well...

3 comments:

Naamah said...

I always heard it as "a cottonseed is the same as a petal."

But, me being half-deaf, you might want to take that with a grain of salt. I agree, stone/pearl makes more sense.

Anonymous said...

http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/G/Golden_Voyage_Of_Sinbad_The.html

"She is curvaceous.|Not deliciously fat as I prefer.
But at night a cotton seed|is the same as a pearl."

So it's not just you, at least.

Marc

TheyStoleFrazier'sBrain said...

Okay, so my memory failed me on "cottonseed," but it sounds like I got "pearl" right. I can live with being half-right.

Thanks Marc.