Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Mental Seesaw

I should quit obsessing over what's done for now, but I realize that the book has quite a few glaring weaknesses that need fixing. In addition to what I've mentioned before, there is a bit after the end of the second act that I rushed through because I was afraid of losing the audience while I wallowed in the characters' grief. Now I think I should wallow at least a bit more, for the reader's sake. Things that seem to stretch out intolerably long while I'm writing them sometimes flash past very quickly when I'm reading.

But the biggest problem is the ending. The ending for Digger is fine, I think, and one of the villains gets what's coming to him, but the other really doesn't, because I couldn't figure out just what might be needed in his case. I think I've got it figured out now (a little too late, considering some first readers already have the manuscript, but oh well).

The issue now is how long to let it sit before I try to revise, or do I go ahead and jump into the scenes that I know how to fix right away.

I don't know. I'm very tired.

No comments: